5 Cities Offering Homes From Your Favorite Decade
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- If you're hot for herringbone floors, check out New York City's bounty of homes built in the 1920s. But if you swoon for split-level ranches, you might do better buying a property from among Honolulu's wealth of 1970s housing stock.
"Different regions of the country have more construction from different decades. It all goes back to the fact that different parts of the country boomed during different periods," says Jed Kolko of Trulia.com, which recently studied where consumers can find the most properties from various decades.
Trulia analyzed million of homes listed for sale on its site to determine where properties from the 1910s, 1920s and other decades are most commonly found.
Kolko, who's Trulia's chief economist, says the study found that lots of homes in a given market date from whenever a city's economy and population boomed most significantly."The country started on the East Coast and spread west, so you find more older homes in the East," he says. "But there's also a construction boom going on right now in the Carolinas, while the 1950s saw lots of mass-produced housing built in suburban areas like Long Island (outside New York City) and Orange County (near Los Angeles)." Here's a look at cities that Trulia found have the biggest percentage of housing stock from the 1920s, 1950s and other eras -- along with a look at what features you can expect find in homes from each period. The site estimated percentages of homes from each decade by looking at all properties listed on Trulia.com between March 25-31 and located in America's 100 largest cities. Trulia also analyzed all listings from 2011 and 2012 to determine what amenities sellers most commonly touted for homes built in various periods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV