Fatburger, started nearly 60 years ago and known as a celebrity hangout, has 150 restaurants and additional 300 stores either under construction or in development across the U.S. and internationally. Last year the company's system-wide sales totaled $100 million, up 22% from 2011.
It clearly intends to repeat their success on the West Coast and elsewhere in New York City through its partnership with the Riese Organization, a large restaurant management company in New York that has approximately 50 restaurants in its portfolio including such brands as T.G.I. Friday's, Tim Horton's (THI), Yum! Brands (YUM) Pizza Hut and KFC. The Riese Organization has also developed its own proprietary concepts including Tad's Steaks and Tequilaville, according to its Web site.
The first Fatburger restaurant, located in Manhattan's Murray Hill area, will also feature a full-service bar and is open to 1am. At the same time as the store's opening, Fatburger also recently began selling its signature frozen beef patties in 3,100 Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) across the U.S. Also see: Fatburger CEO: We'll Survive The Better Burger Shakeout TheStreet had a chance to talk with Fatburger CEO Andy Wiederhorn at the restaurant's newest location. An edited transcript follows. Does Fatburger have appeal outside of the West Coast? Wiederhorn: The brand has been in the East Coast before. We're in Atlantic City, Washington, D.C. and Florida. This is really the burger that everyone likes. It's Hollywood's favorite burger. Bringing it to the East Coast is exciting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV