In particular, Varitimos highlighted Apple's decision to bring some of its Mac manufacturing back to the U.S., a move which was lauded by President Obama during his State of the Union address earlier this year. The Apple investor also pointed to the tech giant's trailblazing use of renewable energy, such as the vast solar panels that power its data center in Maiden, N.C.
Apple already uses 100% renewable energy at its data centers, its facilities in Austin, Texas, Elk Grove, Calif., Cork, Ireland and Munich, Germany, as well as its corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.
A note on Apple's Web site says that 75% of the company's worldwide facilities have shifted to renewable energy, and the iPhone maker is targeting 100% green energy at all of its sites.
In another nod to the firm's Golden State roots, Apple named the latest version of its OS X Mac operating system "Mavericks" on Monday, in honor of the famous surfing site near Half Moon Bay in northern California. Previous versions of OS X were named after "big cats", such as "Mountain Lion" and "Snow Leopard".OS X Mavericks will arrive this fall. Emphasizing Apple's home-grown credentials may also be a subtle reminder to U.S. consumers at a time when the company's facing a major marketing onslaught from Korean arch-rival Samsung. "Samsung is not a complete company like Apple," said Varitimos, a noted fan of the Cupertino firm. "Apple has the infrastructure, the ecosystem and the holistic approach." Apple shares crept up 0.25% to $440 during Thursday's trading session. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV