NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jill Malandrino spoke to Fred Ruffy of WhatsTrading.com to discuss the recent fluctuations in Apple (AAPL) and Pandora Media (P) resulting from Apple's WWDC conference.
Yesterday, Apple announced the much anticipated release of iRadio, the company's product for streaming music. Short-sellers had pushed shares of Pandora lower by 11% leading into the event, with the hope that it would crush the music company.
In short, it did not. Ruffy said that while iRadio still has some unanswered questions, investors seem to believe that it is not an immediate threat to Pandora, whose shares closed higher yesterday and are up to around $15.50 today.
Apple's push into the world of streaming music suggests there might be more money in the industry than many had previously thought, said Ruffy. It has also increased speculation Google (GOOG) or Amazon (AMZN) may look at Pandora as a takeover target.The implied volatility has come down a bit in the options for both stocks, suggesting that the market is in "wait-and-see" mode going forward. Ruffy concluded that Pandora may reverse some of its recent losses now that the Apple event is concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23 Follow @optionsprofits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV