5 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks: NYMT, RWT, TWO, EVEP, CWH
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." New York Mortgage (NASDAQ: NYMT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 15.60%. New York Mortgage Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in acquiring, investing in, financing, and managing mortgage-related and financial assets in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 7.14. The average volume for New York Mortgage has been 1,688,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. New York Mortgage has a market cap of $441.7 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 9.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates New York Mortgage as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NYMT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 205.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC's earnings per share declined by 26.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.25 versus $0.55 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 12.0% in earnings ($1.10 versus $1.25).
- The gross profit margin for NEW YORK MORTGAGE TRUST INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.60%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 23.45% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full New York Mortgage Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.