Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 6:40 a.m. EDT on Real Money on June 11. To see Jim Cramer's latest commentary as it's published, sign up for a free trial of Real Money.
NEW YORK ( Real Money) -- Is it back to the days when the market goes down even when nothing's different from the day before? Is it back to the days when we take our cues from the clueless futures? Is that how it works now?
Honestly, when I looked at the market at 4:10 a.m. EDT, it just looked like another blahday when the market would go down because only macro-focused guys get up early and trade.
Then, two hours later, we learn what? Nothing. Nothing at all. But the futures are down huge, so we have to break out the shoehorn and make up a thesis that can make enough sense so you don't sound too silly uttering it. Something like: "Japan left things unchanged, so of course we are going down." Or commodities are weaker again because of softer Chinese data, which suggests the slowdown is continuing.Heaven forbid any of it actually relates to the U.S. market. That would be too easy -- too accessible. So we wait to see if there are real sellers or just futures sellers. Because the only news tidbits we really have are a better-than-expected guide-up from one of the largest food companies in the world, General Mills (GIS), a higher bid for Sprint (S)and a good quarter for Lululemon (LULU) that was overshadowed by CEO Christine Day's departure. To me that's more plus 2 than down 13 on the futures. But, then again, I am not a 32-year-old futures hotshot who knows so much more than that. Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV