DALLAS, June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced two tiny push-button reset controllers for space-constrained, power-sensitive applications such as pedometers, fitness bands, cell phones and tablets. The dual-channel TPS3420 and TPS3421 feature low power consumption and a selectable reset time delay to improve system stability. For more information, samples and evaluation modules, visit www.ti.com/tps3420-pr.
Push-button reset controllers are required for portable electronics with an embedded battery. In practice, the user presses and holds one or two external keys for a specific period of time, which turns the portable device off or generates a reset. The TPS3420 and TPS3421 use a long input delay to provide the intended system reset and avoid reset from short push-button or key presses. This reset configuration enables differentiation between software interrupts and hard system resets. The timers are the first in a family of new push-button controllers from TI to ensure a hard and full system reset when needed to increase efficiency.
TPS3420/1 key features and benefits
- Selectable input delay of 7.5 or 12.5 seconds eliminates unintended resets.
- Low 250-nA quiescent current conserves power for portable electronics.
- Selectable reset pulse of 400 or 800 milliseconds allows for flexible initializing.
- Small 1.45-mm by 1.0-mm by 0.55-mm SON package consumes 70 percent less board space than competitive devices.
Although TI's MSP430 microcontrollers (MCUs) are already equipped with a push-button interrupt, an external push-button reset controller, such as the TPS3420 or TPS3421, along with a voltage supervisor like the TPS3839, can serve as an extra line of security. The controller and supervisor remain isolated from the MSP430 MCU, ensuring reset as long as they are connected to a power supply. The TPS3420 and TPS3421 also relieve the MSP430 MCU of the processing power required to monitor a push-button interrupt.TI analog for consumer electronics TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, advanced battery charging, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr. Availability, packaging and pricing The TPS3420 and TPS3421 push-button reset controllers are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Offered in a 6-pin SON package, the controllers are priced at US$0.40 in 1,000-unit quantities. For those applications requiring a single push-button input, TI offers the TPS3422 priced at US$0.34. Find out more about TI's power portfolio:
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the Power Management forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
- Download power reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV