INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev., June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PDL BioPharma, Inc. (PDL) (NASDAQ: PDLI) today announced that on June 7, 2013, the Company filed a Notice of Arbitration against Genentech with the American Arbitration Association in Voorhees, New Jersey, alleging, inter alia, that Genentech underpaid royalties going back to at least 2007 and impeded PDL's attempts to have Genentech's books and records inspected to determine whether Genentech's past payments to PDL were accurately calculated.
In 2009, PDL retained KPMG LLP (KPMG) to conduct an independent inspection and analysis of the books and records of Genentech and its sublicensees for the three year period covering January 1, 2007 to December 31, 2009, a right granted to PDL under PDL's Patent License Master Agreement and License Agreements with Genentech. KPMG reported to PDL that, due to limitations on its inspection imposed by Genentech, it was unable to assess the completeness or accuracy of Genentech's reporting of royalties. KPMG concluded that, based on the limited information it was able to review, Genentech appears to have underpaid PDL in an amount that, if substantiated, PDL believes would be material. Genentech has informed PDL that it disagrees with KPMG's conclusions and that it believes that it has correctly calculated royalties due.
In the arbitration, PDL: (i) requests a declaration of the parties' rights and obligations with respect to reporting and payment of royalties under the license agreements; (ii) alleges that Genentech has breached the license agreements due to its obstruction of KPMG's inspection and underpayment of royalties; and (iii) alleges that Genentech breached the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing by depriving PDL of the benefits of the license agreements through its obstruction of the inspection, which we further assert concealed the nature and extent of its underpayment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV