The reliance on GSE dividends for the improving fiscal picture underscores the point made by KBW analyst Bose George in a report on Sunday, when he wrote that private investors are unlikely to see any gain from their holdings in shares of Fannie and Freddie.
Shares of PNC Financial Services Group of Pittsburgh have returned 26% this year, following a 4% return during 2012. The shares trade for 10.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $6.88, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $6.68.
Based on a quarterly payout of 44 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.41%.
PNC holds about 36 million common shares of BlackRock (BX), with a carrying value of roughly $5.6 billion. Since the bank accounts for its BlackRock investment under the "equity method," its share of BlackRock's earnings carries through to its own financial statements. The stake had "a market value of near $11bn" as of May 22, according to Atlantic Equities analyst Richard Staite.For 2012, PNC reported net income available to common shareholders of $2.8 billion, with $395 million attributed to the BlackRock stake. Over the long haul, analysts expect PNC to sell the BlackRock stake, and comments by PNC Chief Financial Officer Rick Johnson at a conference in May seem to indicate a change in management's view on the subject. Please see PNC Considers Selling BlackRock Stake for much more on PNC's financial results, Johnson's comments and analysts' reaction. PNC data by YCharts
Interested in more on PNC? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV