NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer, Main Street's Ross Kenneth Urken and "Mad Money" Research Director Nicole Urken were talking about love Monday, teaching Cramer about the new world of online dating.
Match.com, which is owned by IAC/InterActiveCorp (IACI), and eHarmony.com are the typical sites that may come to mind when anyone talkes about online dating.
These sites use profiles and descriptions that are run through a database to find another individual with a high compatibility score. These are typically used to form long-term relationships.
The Urkens consider these sites "Old Dog" because even Cramer has known of them for quite some time.However, he learned about some newer sites including Skout and Blendr, which pair singles by location rather than compatibility. OkCupid is another dating site that helps bring singles together. The new theme would appear to be that dating apps bring singles together to meet, rather than pairing them up based on potential long-term compatibility. Many of these sites are also oriented toward couples, where the goal is to help those already in a relationship find other couples in their area to spend more time together. It's a much more relaxed vibe for both singles and couples, to help people meet each other and spend time together, according to the Urkens. Cramer had thought there had always been a stigma about using online dating for meeting people and forming relationships. Ross dismissed the idea, saying that in today's world, "I think the stigma is all but faded. It's certainly reduced because of the critical mass [of] so many people using the sites." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV