McDonald's was rising 1.4% to $99.67 in midday trading. Shares have gained 13% this year compared to a 16% advance for the S&P 500.
McDonald's has added new items such as the McWraps, new quarter-pounder hamburger options and chicken meals. Breakfast, led by its new Egg White Delight, helped boost the world's largest food-service operator's 2.4% growth in May. Sales were expected to rise 2.1%.
Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's sales gained in Europe as well, rising 2% as summer promotions in the U.k. and Russia offset declines in Germany and France.Sales in Asia, the Middle East and Africa climbed 0.9% while the company looks to expand in China, according to Bloomberg News. McDonald's opened 256 stores in China in 2012 and aims to push that number to 2,000 by the end of 2013. Nonetheless, May sales in China "were impacted by the avian influenza," McDonalds said in a statement. Written by Robert Arenella in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV