PARSIPPANY, N.J. and PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla., June 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Boo Weekley has been voted the May PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to be split by two charities, Vision of Hope and Christ's Starfish Foundation.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Weekley outpolled Tiger Woods, Sang-Moon Bae and Derek Ernst. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of May.
"After battling some injuries the last few years, I'm excited to be able to be back playing the type of golf I know I'm capable of playing," said Weekley. "I'd like to thank the fans that voted for me, and my thanks to Avis for their generous contribution to Vision of Hope and Christ's Starfish Foundation, two charities I am involved with that make a difference in many people's lives."Weekley earned his third career PGA TOUR title at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, carding a final-round 4-under-par 66 to overtake third-round leader Matt Kuchar. Weekley moved from No. 28 to No. 6 in the FedExCup standings with the victory. In his other three starts in May, Weekley finished T58 at the Wells Fargo Championship, T48 at THE PLAYERS and missed the cut at the HP Byron Nelson Championship. "PGA TOUR fans continue to enthusiastically participate in the voting process each month," said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. "We welcome Boo Weekley into the Player of the Month ranks and are proud to support Vision of Hope and Christ's Starfish Foundation in his honor."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV