BP (NYSE: BP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.00%. BP p.l.c. provides fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, lubricants to engines, and petrochemicals products. The company has a P/E ratio of 431.50. The average volume for BP has been 5,704,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. BP has a market cap of $137.1 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 3.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates BP as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 192.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5,767.00 million to $16,863.00 million.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.36, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.90 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The gross profit margin for BP PLC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.50%. Regardless of BP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BP's net profit margin of 17.91% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BP PLC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BP Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts