LAS VEGAS, June 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM Edge 2013 – IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced enhancements across its systems portfolio that are designed to help organizations adopt cloud computing as they build toward Software Defined Environments (SDE).
Enhancements to IBM's Smarter Storage line of Flash, disk and tape systems give clients faster access to business critical information and Big Data insights. New High Performance Computing solutions bring HPC capabilities to mainstream servers to help more clients crunch their ever-mounting volumes of data faster.
New capabilities added to the IBM PureSystems family expert integrated systems are designed to help clients reduce the security risks often faced when deploying cloud solutions, as well as enable quick recovery and restoration after disasters. A new mobile solution based on IBM Worklight server on PureSystems for both Power and x86 was created to accelerate clients' access to millions of mobile users by allowing mobile applications to be deployed in as little as 30 minutes."Cloud computing and Big Data analytics are playing key roles in helping organizations lower operating expenses, improve efficiencies, and increase productivity," said Tom Rosamilia, senior vice president, IBM Systems & Technology Group. "But they're also enabling greater and faster access to business insights, which is fundamentally transforming the ways in which organizations, public and private, are interacting with, learning from, and supporting their customers." Smarter Storage for New Era of ComputingIn addition to rolling out its new IBM FlashSystem family of all-Flash appliances today, the company announced enhancements to its storage portfolio that will help more clients achieve faster and continuous access to business-critical information. For example, IBM added support for 4TB drives to its Storwize V7000 and XIV advanced storage systems for 33 percent more capacity in the same space, and new capabilities to XIV that let clients send large volumes of data between systems through the cloud without performance degradation. IBM also enhanced its Easy Tier technology, which automatically moves data to the most effective storage tier in a storage system for faster performance and greater efficiency. The new Easy Tier Server function helps boost performance even further by caching the "hottest," most-frequently accessed data to the EXP30 Ultra SSD I/O Drawer on IBM Power Systems. When these servers are used in conjunction with the IBM DS8870 Storage System, the new Easy Tier Server capabilities can help boost storage performance by up to five times. Other updates to the storage line include:
- IBM Linear Tape File System Enterprise Edition is based on LTFS Library Edition, but lets clients use tape storage as a separate tier for greater management and access. The system is a cost-effective and easy-to-deploy data solution that's ideal for Web 2.0 applications. It is integrated with the IBM GPFS file system and can help lower storage and archive costs up to 90 percent¹.
- IBM FlashSystem series was released today. Announced in April, the series of all-Flash appliances has been enhanced to deliver less than 1/10 the cost per transaction while using 4 percent of the energy and 2 percent of the space compared to hybrid disk and flash systems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV