PLAINFIELD, Ind., June 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy's Edwardsport Generating Station has begun commercial operation.
Located in Knox County, Ind., near Vincennes, the 618-megawatt advanced technology coal gasification plant is one of the world's cleanest coal-fired power generating facilities.
The plant uses advanced technology to gasify coal, strip out pollutants, and then burn that cleaner gas to produce electricity. The technology substantially reduces the environmental impact of burning coal to produce electric power.Photos of the new facility can be accessed on Flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeenergy/sets/72157633543207072/ "Coal has powered Indiana for more than a century," said Duke Energy Indiana President Doug Esamann. "But today's air quality standards require us to use that fuel in a cleaner, more efficient way. Edwardsport turns coal into a cleaner-burning fuel and enables us to continue using an abundant local resource." Edwardsport completed the necessary steps to be declared commercial on June 7. As the company testified before state regulators, this is the first time the technology has been used on this scale, so the plant is expected to build up to its long-term level of availability over the next 15 months. It will provide Indiana customers with power for decades. " Edwardsport replaces about 500 megawatts of older coal-fired generation that we recently retired or expect to retire soon due to new EPA regulations," Esamann said. "The average age of coal-fired plants on our Indiana system is 45 years, and this facility is key to modernizing our system and filling the gap left by plant retirements." Environmental Advantages Edwardsport will:
- Produce 10 times as much power as the former plant at Edwardsport, yet with about 70 percent fewer emissions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and particulates combined.
- Use excess steam that would normally be wasted to power a second turbine and increase plant efficiency and output.
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions per megawatt-hour by nearly half compared to the plant it replaces.
- Generate marketable byproducts. The plant will produce sulfur and slag for agricultural and construction materials. Any revenues from marketable byproducts will go to customers.
- Use less water than a conventional coal-fired plant.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts