Why It's True: You Should Own, Not Rent
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The "American Dream" means owning a home rather than renting. And despite the huge losses millions of homeowners suffered in the past decade, the dream is still alive and well. But what, exactly, do people value the most in owning over renting?
A study by Fannie Mae shows that most renters aspire to own someday, though they feel it may be more difficult to buy than in the past. The strong appeal to owning is rooted in the sense of control.
A full 90% of renters said they expected to own at some point in the future.
Of those renters surveyed, 84% cited "having control over what you do with your living space" as a reason owning is better than renting. "Having a sense of privacy and security" was cited by 80%, "having a good place for your family or to raise your children" by 78% and "living in a nicer home" by 71%.Many also cited the presumed financial benefits of owning over renting, with 78% citing "having the best investment plan," 70% saying "building up wealth" and 69% saying "saving for retirement." Still, renting did seem to offer some advantages over owning, with 57% citing "living within your budget," 52% "having less stress" and 50% "making the best decision given the current economic climate." This last figure reflects the especially high hurdles facing would-be homeowners today, including high down payment requirements and tough loan-approval guidelines. A decade ago loans were easy to come by and buyers had to put little or nothing down. "Renters who prefer to own perceive potential financial hurdles and many of them think it would be difficult for them to get a mortgage today," Fannie Mae reported. "Compared to the owners they aspire to become, renters are more likely to have fewer assets, higher debt stress, and less income."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV