NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- what needs to go right; and
- retail weakness.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
Six Themes to WatchPosted at 12:56 p.m. EDT on Friday, June 7 So what has to go right to maintain the momentum that started midday yesterday with that amazing reversal? What has to go right to prove that was indeed a "whoosh bottom" (as the late, fabulous Mark Haines called it), where everybody who needed to sell has sold and buyers are at last attracted to the market? First, we need interest rates to stabilize, or to go up at a slower level, as the economy recovers. The employment report this morning was slightly better than expected, which could provoke a gentle rise in rates. Ideally, we want them back down, which is something that's hard to get if the economy is improving. But secondarily, we want the velocity of the move to abate. You can't have a rapid surge in rates without havoc occurring throughout the system, which is exactly what happened in the last month, when rates exploded higher even as they remain historically low.
You want to see us go back to new highs? Then we need to get interest rates back to where mortgages are below 4% so sidelined potential homebuyers can say, "Thank heavens, I didn't miss the bottom and I have to move now or I will never get another chance like this to buy." That would put us back on course for a prolonged housing recovery and all that goes with it. Still, though, just a cessation of the huge jump higher could do the trick. Second, we have been getting some better-than-expected data from Europe. That's shocking in itself, but it confirms that not only has Europe bottomed, but it might also be showing actual improvement. So many of our companies have huge businesses overseas, and this would be a godsend for them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV