NORTHBROOK, Ill., June 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Weather forecasters are predicting a busy hurricane season with above average activity this year. Colorado State University's storm-prediction gurus believe 18 named storms may impact communities along the coast. Nine of those storms are expected to turn into hurricanes. Four of those hurricanes are expected to be major events, packing powerful winds of 100 mph and greater.
To view the multimedia content associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/61576-allstate-be-aware-and-prepare-natural-disaster-weather-alerts
Hurricanes Sandy, Irene, Isaac and other disasters serve as a sobering reminder of the importance of families being prepared just in case the unthinkable happens."Preparing now, before the weather turns serious, is a family's best defense," says Roman Suarez, a 17-year member and manager of Allstate's National Catastrophe Team. Preparation should focus on four key activities, which the whole family can do together.
- Take time to shop and put together an emergency kit.
- Hit the road and practice an evacuation route out of town and to a safe place.
- Pull out the camera and take pictures of the personal belongings.
- Sign up for Allstate Alerts to stay on top of bad weather heading into the area.
- Learn and practice the best evacuation routes.
- Keep a map or GPS unit in the car in case you are forced to take unfamiliar roads.
- Design a plan that includes a meeting place away from the home in case family members get separated.
- Identify an out-of-state contact so the family knows who to call to check in.
- Take an easy, old-fashioned approach with pen and paper to write down the items in a home.
- Take a digital-approach by using an app or software called Digital Locker, available through Allstate at the following website: http://www.allstate.com/digital-locker.aspx. You don't have to be a customer to use it.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts