Investment Interest Deduction
By: John Pitlosh
Understanding the investment interest deduction can pay big dividends. The purpose of this article is to get individuals up to speed on how the investment interest deduction works, and how it can benefit their own situation. Whether someone is looking to manage the tax consequences of a stock sale or they want to leverage their investment dollars, people borrow money to invest all the time. Even though investors use borrowed money to invest, most do not realize they can deduct the interest from these loans and even fewer understand how to comply with the deduction rules.
The starting point for the investment interest deduction is knowing that the source of the money isnt as critical as the purpose for the borrowed money. For example, if an investor take's a margin loan from their investment portfolio to buy his girlfriend a car with the proceeds, the interest from this loan won't qualify as investment interest. However, if the investor borrows money from his credit card to buy Google stock, then the interest on his credit card bill due to the purchase of the Google stock would be deductible as investment interest.Taking a loan to buy a stock and deducting the interest is pretty straight forward, but there are some types of borrowed investment purchases that will generate interest that won't qualify under the investment interest deduction rules due to specific exemptions outlined in the code and regulations.
- Tax Exempt Securities - Interest expenses attributable to the purchase of tax exempt securities like municipal bonds will not qualify for the investment interest deduction.
- Passive Activity Investments - Interest expenses related to a passive activity such as rental real estate are not considered investment interest, and they are covered by their own set of rules and regulations.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts