CINCINNATI, June 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Phil Lewis, executive editor of the Naples Daily News in Naples, Fla., and respected journalist in The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP), is retiring after 35 years in the newsroom. His last day is July 1.
His career with Scripps included more than 15 years as editor at the Daily News, southwest Florida's most decorated newsroom.
"During Phil's tenure, he was a leader during many transformations in our newsroom and across the industry," said Dave Neill, regional publisher for the Naples Daily News. "He was here when we started our first Sunday paper and for our entrance into the digital world. His work ensured journalistic integrity across our many platforms. Phil is a respected leader in the community, and that position has helped the Daily News to become an even greater contributor to the vibrancy of the Naples community."
His career paralleled much of the growth of both Collier County, Florida, and the Daily News. Lewis, 60, joined the Daily News as a reporter in 1978. Just three years later the newspaper promoted him to city editor. In 1989 he advanced again to managing editor of the newspaper. Under his leadership as editor since 1997, the Daily News won scores of national, regional and state awards and developed a national reputation for quality visual journalism."Journalism was my first love and it has been an honor to serve the Southwest Florida community along with my Daily News colleagues," Lewis said. "I consider myself extremely lucky. My 35 years with the newspaper allowed me to work side-by-side with hundreds of extraordinary people who produced extraordinary journalism on the local, state and national level." In 1990, the American Society of News Editors recognized the Naples Daily News as one of 10 newspapers cited for excellence in the under 50,000-circulation category.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV