Voting will begin July 8. Results will be tallied at the board's Washington office and announced at 2 p.m. on August 12.
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters last month requested the representation election -- the NMB approval indicates that the Teamsters collected enough signatures for an election to occur. US Airways mechanics are currently represented by the International Association of Machinists. The bargaining unit includes about 5,000 mechanics and related workers including about 3,500 active mechanics.
"The Teamsters have a history of promising long and delivering short," said IAM General Vice President Sito Pantoja, in a prepared statement. "More than $3 million of Teamster members' dues money is spent on federal oversight due to corruption. US Airways mechanic and related employees deserve an industry-leading contract, which the IAM will secure. They don't deserve to be lied to by the Teamsters and have their pensions and job-security jeopardized."A Teamster spokesman was not immediately available to comment. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV