While discussing what he called the "real Walmart" and "the real opportunity" that the company provides, Duke welcomed on stage dozens of associates from around the world, including five of his own direct reports, who represent:
- the 75 percent of U.S. store management teams who started at Walmart as hourly associates;
- the 180,000 associates at Walmart U.S. and Sam's Club who were promoted last year;
- Walmart's commitment to increasing training and career advancement opportunities, including for one million women around the world;
- Walmart's commitment and plan to hire 100,000 veterans over the next five years; and
- the 300,000 associates who have worked at Walmart for over a decade.
Throughout his 18 years at the company, Duke said that he had learned a lot about Walmart associates and believes that who they are and how they do their jobs is exactly what customers want and expect. Duke concluded, "Integrity, service to customers, family and community, the opportunity to build better lives for ourselves and our customers -- these are the ways that our people make the difference. They're why you're so special. And they're why I'm so excited about Walmart's future."
About Walmart Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 10,857 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2013 sales of approximately $466 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV