By contrast, Salesforce just ended its fiscal first quarter with a cash balance of $3.1 billion --the deal for ExactTarget accounts to 80%. While ExactTartget should add value to Salesforce's existing portfolio and help Salesforce in areas like marketing and service function efficiency, it doesn't make this bet any less risky, especially since ExactTarget is losing $20 million per year.
You can argue that ExactTarget's digital cloud marketing capabilities will help Salesforce advance its capabilities against the likes of Constant Contact (CTCT) and even offer a marketing edge over Oracle and IBM. But I still believe that Salesforce could have negotiated a better deal.
Even if it would have taken a bit longer, I believe Salesforce could have built the same cloud marketing platform internally for 40% of what it paid for ExactTarget. This constant lack of fiscal attention remains a concern, and this is yet another example of how Salesforce seems to operate as if revenue growth is all that matters.
With a minus 15% on return on equity, I think it's time Salesforce investors start wondering exactly for what are they paying.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV