June 6, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- With tropical storm Andrea expected to bring heavy rain and high winds to the Carolinas Thursday, Verizon Wireless has prepared its network and emergency response teams to respond to the storm. In preparation of this severe weather, emergency response teams are on standby in South and
, and Cell on Wheels (COWS), Cell on Light Trucks (COLTS), and generators on trailers (GOaTS) are ready for immediate deployment to areas that experience major damage, power outages and flooding.
"Verizon will have real time monitoring of network performance during and after the storm to ensure that our customers maintain maximum connectivity," said
, Verizon Wireless Carolinas/
region president. "We are ready for tropical storm Andrea, and we want our customers and communities to feel confident in our preparations to handle whatever severe weather the tropical storm brings to the Carolinas."
Wireless technology is an important element in severe weather preparations so Verizon Wireless recommends these mobile applications and tips to stay connected to the information you need during and after severe weather:
- Make sure your wireless phone can receive Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) from your local public safety system. Imminent Danger Alerts will be distributed via text message when extreme weather threat levels are high in your area.
- Download mobile apps to help you track storms and access important information from emergency agencies like the American Red Cross and FEMA.
- Use text messaging instead of voice calls to communicate during and after a disaster.
Verizon Wireless' ongoing investments and preparations have proven critical during emergency situations in previous years. Verizon guarantees its position as the nation's most reliable wireless network through several proactive initiatives including:
- Prearranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost.
- Ensuring residents of impacted areas can reach loved ones and start personal recovery by readying mobile stores and charging stations for deployment, as well as collaborating with local response agencies to prepare emergency equipment.
For the latest news and information about Verizon Wireless' on-going disaster preparedness, visit the company's
Emergency Information Center.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 98.9 million retail customers, including 93.2 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in
Basking Ridge, N.J.
, with more than 73,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit
. For the latest news and updates about Verizon Wireless, visit our News Center at
or follow us on Twitter at
SOURCE Verizon Wireless