Another under-$10 name that's trending within range of triggering a major breakout trade is CapitalSource (CSE), a commercial lender that provides financial products to small and middle market businesses nationwide and provides depository products and services to consumers. This stock is off to a strong start in 2013, with shares up 23%.
If you take a look at the chart for CapitalSource, you'll notice that this stock is just starting to spike back above its 50-day moving average at $9.28 a share. Shares of CSE have been trending sideways inside of a consolidation pattern for the last month, with shares moving between $9.12 on the downside and $9.64 on the upside. A high-volume move above the upper-end of its recent range could trigger a major breakout trade for shares of CSE.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in CSE if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $9.52 to $9.64 a share and then once it takes out its 52-week high at $9.86 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 1.96 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then CSE will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are its next major overhead resistance levels at $14 to $16 a share. Traders can look to buy CSE off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support at $9.12 a share. One can also buy CSE off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage point from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV