3 Utilities Stocks Driving The Sector Higher
1. As of noon trading, Southern ( SO) is up $0.24 (0.55) to $43.93 on heavy volume Thus far, 3.3 million shares of Southern exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.0 million shares. The stock has ranged in price between $43.70-$44.24 after having opened the day at $43.85 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $43.69. The Southern Company, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a public electric utility company. Southern has a market cap of $38.3 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.8, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 2.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Southern a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Southern as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Get the full Southern Ratings Report now. 3x UPSIDE POTENTIAL: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. If you are interested in one of these 3 stocks, ETFs may be of interest. Investors who are bullish on the utilities sector could consider Utilities Select Sector SPDR ( XLU) while those bearish on the utilities sector could consider ProShares UltraShort Utilities ( SDP). A reminder about TheStreet Ratings group: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts