NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Any bargains in the retail sector? TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt discussed some of the recent pops and drops in the retail group.
Borchardt pointed out that Vera seemed too focused on fashion, which can momentarily flourish but ultimately fails. With a departing CEO, the scene has gotten ugly for the company.
Francesca's biggest problem came from expanding the number of its stores too fast while not necessarily having growth within the stores.Ascena Retail (ASNA) was another disappointing company after its third-quarter results. Cramer thought that the numbers would have to be near perfect for this stock to have a chance, and they were far from it. "I don't think this stock is done going down," Cramer added. But there were some retailers who came out with some positive numbers. Conn's (CONN) has shown incredible strength, which can most likely be attributed to the strong housing recovery. The home appliance retailer could continue to see strong growth if the recovery stays intact, he said. Costco (COST), a holding of the Action Alerts Plus charitable trust Cramer co-manages, was another strong name. As Cramer pointed out, when you subtract foreign exchange and gasoline you get a much clearer picture on how the company is actually performing. In relation to Costco, he concluded, "This was a better-than-expected quarter and there are not many retailers that are doing better than expected." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV