NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sorry, Elon Musk fans. You're going to have wait a while for SpaceX to go public.
Musk, who is CEO of SpaceX and Tesla Motors (TSLA), said that the nature of the business is very divergent from Wall Street's mentality, and an initial public offering would do more harm than good at this point.
"No near-term plans to IPO @SpaceX," Musk said in a tweet. "Only possible in very long term when Mars Colonial Transporter is flying regularly."
No near term plans to IPO @spacex. Only possible in very long term when Mars Colonial Transporter is flying regularly.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 6, 2013The popular Musk, who was recently interviewed by TheStreet, noted the conflicting time frames between what Wall Street cares about (quarter-to-quarter data), versus what it would take to develop a trip to Mars.
Mars requires developing complex technology over a decade+, but market cares about next 3 months. Result would be conflicting priorities.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 6, 2013Musk noted there is a lot a of pressure from investors as a public company, saying it's "hard not to feel super bad if u don't make [sic your quarter]." Rocket technology is vastly different than what most companies are used to, Musk stated. He noted that the "[p]assing grade for a rocket is 100%." There has been speculation that SpaceX would go public based off the exceptional performance seen in shares of Tesla Motors, as well as Solar City (SCTY), which Musk is also involved with. Last year, SpaceX launched its Falcon 9 rocket, carrying the Dragon capsule into space. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV