NORWALK, Conn., June 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As the summer road travel season begins, Diageo reaffirmed the company's zero tolerance policy regarding drunk driving by congratulating New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo for the success of his tough new DWI regulations. Governor Cuomo announced recently that almost 3,200 drivers with a history of repeat alcohol- or drug-related driving convictions have been kept off the road in New York since these rules took effect last September. New York now has some of the toughest protections in the nation against individuals who persistently drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
New York's new regulations have enabled the State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to deny or restrict applications for relicensing from people with more than 2 alcohol- or drug-related driving offenses on their record. Significantly, all of the applicants whose licenses were reinstated received either an A-2 "problem driver" license (limiting their driving to work, medical appointments, etc.) and/or are required to drive with an ignition interlock on their car to prevent the car from starting when the driver is intoxicated.
Before these regulations were in place, repeat drunk drivers could get a conditional license with full driving privileges in just seven weeks by completing the DMV's Drinking Driver Program. Some drivers still had a license with six or more alcohol- or drug-related driving convictions on their record. Before the Governor's actions, the only time a driver really faced losing a license permanently was when he or she had two alcohol- or drug-related convictions arising from separate crashes involving a physical injury. The DMV's new regulations now ensure that repeat drunk drivers either lose their license permanently or must wait until their full term of suspension or revocation has ended before regaining any driving privileges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV