The average stock in the S&P 500 has now fallen 4.34% since the index made an all-time closing high on May 21st. Even with the sell-off we have seen, however, the S&P has yet to break below its 50-day moving average, and the index is still within its long-term uptrend channel. As shown below, however, we're now right at the bottom of the uptrend channel, so the next few days will be a key test for this bull market.
After today's sell-off, not one of the ten S&P 500 sectors remains in overbought territory. Last week at this time, the S&P 500 as a whole and seven of ten sectors were overbought, but all overbought levels have now been worked off. Three sectors are now oversold -- Consumer Staples, Telecom and Utilities.Of the 30 Dow Jones Industrial Average stocks, eight stocks remain in overbought territory, but there are now more stocks in the index that are oversold (9) than overbought (8). McDonald's (MCD) is the most oversold, while AT&T (T) and Travelers (TRV) are not far behind.
The post Sizing up the U.S. stock market rally appeared first on Smarter Investing
Covestor Ltd. is a registered investment advisor. Covestor licenses investment strategies from its Model Managers to establish investment models. The commentary here is provided as general and impersonal information and should not be construed as recommendations or advice. Information from Model Managers and third-party sources deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Transaction histories for Covestor models available upon request. Additional important disclosures available at http://site.covestor.com/help/disclosures. For information about Covestor and its services, go to http://covestor.com or contact Covestor Client Services at (866) 825-3005, x703.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV