BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- How'd you like to buy a Mercedes-Benz CL-Class at a $60,000 discount or save $21,000 on a Volvo S80?
Here's a look at five models you can buy for nearly half price if you're willing to purchase 2- or 3-year-old versions instead of new ones.
"If you're the type of person who just views a car as a commodity, you can buy a used vehicle and find some really great deals out there," says Eric Lyman of market tracker TrueCar.com.
While today's used-car market has such unusually high prices that you might as well buy some models new rather than used, TrueCar recently found that some 2010s and '11s sell for nearly 50% off of what comparable 2013s cost. That's way better than the 30% discount that's typical industrywide for 2- to 3-year-old cars.Lyman says most of the models on the list are luxury vehicles whose upscale buyers typically want new automobiles instead of used ones. "These are cars that are popular with people who consider image and having the finer things in life to be important," he says. "So you usually see a lot more demand for new versions of these cars rather than used ones." The expert adds that automakers have recently shipped or plan to soon premiere completely redesigned versions of many vehicles on the rundown, so the used versions' values are dropping fast. In other cases, models are way overdue for redesigns and have lost favor with used-vehicle buyers. "Most of these cars are
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV