PARSIPPANY, N.J., June 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Actavis, Inc. (NYSE: ACT) today confirmed that it has filed an Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) seeking approval to market Drospirenone/Ethinyl Estradiol/Levomefolate Calcium Tablets And Levomefolate Calcium Tablets. Actavis' ANDA product is a generic version of Bayer's Safyral ®, which is approved to prevent pregnancy in women who elect to use an oral contraceptive, and to provide a daily dose of folate supplementation.
Merck & CIE, Bayer Pharma AG and Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals Inc. filed suit against Actavis on June 4, 2013, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware seeking to prevent Actavis from commercializing its ANDA product prior to the expiration of U.S. patent no. 6441168 (the '168 patent). The lawsuit was filed under the provisions of the Hatch-Waxman Act, resulting in a stay of final FDA approval of Actavis' ANDA for up to 30 months from the date the plaintiffs received notice of Actavis' ANDA filing or until final resolution of the matter before the court, whichever occurs sooner, subject to any other exclusivities.
Based on available information, Actavis believes it may be a "first applicant" to file an ANDA for the generic version of Safyral ® and, should its ANDA be approved, may be entitled to 180 days of generic market exclusivity.
For the 12 months ending
April 30, 2013, Safyral
® had total U.S. sales of approximately
$19 million according to IMS Health data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV