SANDPOINT, Idaho, June 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Coldwater Creek Inc. (Nasdaq:CWTR) today reported financial results for the three-month period ended May 4, 2013.
First Quarter of Fiscal 2013 Operating Results
- Consolidated net sales were $155.7 million, compared with $169.9 million in first quarter 2012. Net sales from the retail segment were $117.8 million, compared with $131.2 million in the same period last year. Comparable premium retail sales declined 10.5 percent for the quarter. Net sales were also impacted by store closures as a result of our store optimization program. Net sales from the direct segment were $38.0 million, compared with $38.7 million in the same period last year.
- Consolidated gross profit decreased $3.4 million to $51.0 million, or 32.7 percent of net sales, compared with $54.4 million, or 32.0 percent of net sales, for first quarter 2012. The 70 basis point increase in gross profit margin was primarily due to increased leverage of buying and occupancy expenses.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses (SG&A) were $68.4 million, or 43.9 percent of net sales, compared with $77.5 million, or 45.6 percent of net sales, for first quarter 2012. The $9.2 million decline in SG&A was due primarily to lower expenses across all categories, with the largest declines from marketing and employee-related expenses.
- Net loss was $19.4 million, or $0.63 per share, and included other gain, net, of $0.9 million, or $0.03 per share, due to the change in the fair value of the derivative liability related to the Series A Preferred Stock issued in July 2012. This compares to a net loss of $23.8 million, or $0.78 per share, for first quarter 2012.
- On an adjusted basis, excluding the gain on the derivative liability, net loss was $20.3 million, or $0.66 per share. (Please see the table of GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliation of Selected Measures at the end of this press release.)
"Our first quarter results were impacted by unseasonable weather throughout the quarter; however, we were able to more than offset softer-than-expected sales through gross margin rate expansion and disciplined expense management, delivering results consistent with the higher end of our expectations," said Jill Dean, President and Chief Executive Officer of Coldwater Creek. "The extensive work we have done to clearly define our brand strategy and target customer has influenced our merchandise direction and assortment architecture primarily in the back half of the year, which we believe will enable us to continue to generate improvements in our operating performance in fiscal 2013."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV