Quick Take: Jobs Data Scare
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Debra Borchardt is with Alan Valdes of DME Securities to talk about today's price action and what to expect going forward.
The markets are finally starting to see some of the selling pressure that traders and investors have been talking about for the past couple of weeks. With the mediocre ADP jobs report this morning, many might be starting to think that the nonfarm payrolls report on Friday will be dismal as well.
In previous weeks, we've seen that bad news has been good news, with the market rallying on the expectation that the Federal Reserve's stimulus program would remain in place. However, investors have begun to fear that it may soon begin to taper off.
"Jobs really are the most important thing. QE undoubtedly helps the market, but for the general economy, you need those jobs," Valdes added.According to Valdes, the Federal Reserve has a decision to make with inflation levels so low, we're beginning to teeter on deflation. But every time the Fed does talk about slowing things down, the market starts to crumble. Without question, the employment report on Friday will be big. With summer usually being the slow time of the year, it will likely set the pace for the next several months. Add in the FOMC meeting on June 19, and the second-quarter GDP result due out at the end of the month -- June could be very volatile. Even though the "buy the dip" mentality seems exhausted, the market hasn't flipped a switch yet. With such hefty gains this year already, a lot of traders may just be taking their profits off the table ahead of the potential June swoons. "So far, we don't have a confirmed correction in place," Borchardt concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV