Foursquare certainly would be at the top of any M&A list for check-in services. There's been questions about how Foursquare, run by Dennis Crowley can generate revenue, but the company recently raised $41 million in financing, so investors must see something about the company's future.
The optimism surrounding Yahoo! right now is extraordinarily high, and the market is reflecting that. Shares are up 31.3% year-to-date, and more than 70% since Mayer took over the top spot in Sunnyvale, Calif. She has certainly been acquisitive since taking over Yahoo! and reshaping the company in her vision, having bought Stamped, a mobile review site, Snip.it, an online content organization company, OnTheAir, in addition to Tumblr.
A check-in app would continue Mayer's radical transformation of Yahoo! into the world's "daily habit," as she has so often put it. With Tumblr, and the potential acquisitions of Hulu and perhaps a check-in app, Yahoo! is fast becoming the go-to place in Silicon Valley for high-profile acquisitions.
Now, all Mayer has to do is deliver on her promises.--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV