This story was originally published June 5, and has been corrected to reflect the fact Gowalla was acqui-hired by Facebook, in 2011, then shut down. TheStreet regrets this error.
Goldman spoke at a investment conference, and continued to sound the horn that Yahoo! is not done acquiring companies in the mobile space. He noted "localization of the space," which sounds an awful lot like check-in services.I've opined before that Yahoo! would acquire Yelp (YELP), which not only lets people check in to restaurants, stores and local businesses, but also provides search and content. Mayer has continuously alluded to the fact that Yahoo! needs "more personalized content and increased product innovation" to get the Internet giant back on track for Display revenue growth. Yelp isn't profitable yet, but revenue growth is soaring, up 68% year-over-year, according to Yelp's latest earnings report.
At a market cap approaching $1.8 billion, Yelp is now probably too big for Yahoo!, especially after the Tumblr acquisition, but that doesn't mean there aren't other alternatives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV