SAN JOSE, Calif., June 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Atmel ® Corporation (NASDAQ: ATML), a leader in microcontroller (MCU) and touch technology solutions, today announced the company has signed an agreement with Sensinode, a pioneer and world leader in technology and software solutions, to license 6LoWPAN software solutions that will enable the rapid development of smart, connected wireless products that help make up The Internet of Things.
In this agreement, Sensinode will license its 6LoWPAN stack and router solutions, the NanoStack TM 2.0 and NanoRouter TM 3.0, to be used with Atmel's ultra-low-power wireless hardware platforms for developing power-efficient IPv6-based embedded wireless products.
"6LoWPAN is a critical component for building the Internet of Things, providing key efficiencies for embedded IP networks used in sensor and control networks," said Geoff Mulligan, Chairman of the IPSO Alliance. "By using 6LoWPAN with IPv6, devices gain Internet interoperability with smaller code and packet sizes than with other proprietary protocols and stacks."Sensinode's NanoStack 2.0 will be used with Atmel's ATmega256RFR2 wireless MCU, while the NanoRouter 3.0 will support Atmel's SAM4E Cortex-M4 flash-based MCU and AT86RF231 or AT86RF233 ultra low power IEEE 802.15.4 RF transceivers. The firmware for the NanoStack 2.0 and NanoRouter 3.0 firmware is available through the Atmel Gallery embedded app store in Atmel Studio 6. According to technology market research firm ON World, in 2017, 1 billion wireless sensor network chipsets will be shipped worldwide. "Growing demand for end-to-end IP networks for smart energy, intelligent lighting and other markets in the Internet of Things will make 6LoWPAN one of the fastest growing wireless sensor network technologies over the next five years," said Mareca Hatler, Research Director for ON World.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV