DUBLIN , June 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Researchers will present data today that demonstrate people with narcolepsy face significant personal health and economic burden. The Burden of Narcolepsy Disease (BOND) study, the largest of its kind and the first in the United States, found that patients with narcolepsy, with or without cataplexy, were more likely to suffer from a higher frequency of comorbidities such as mental illness, endocrine disorders, digestive disorders and cardiovascular disease, and had more than twice the mean annual medical costs compared with the general population. These data, supported by Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: JAZZ), will be presented at SLEEP 2013, the annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC (APSS) taking place this week in Baltimore, Md.Additional results from two surveys presented at SLEEP characterize the impact that narcolepsy, as a currently misunderstood and underdiagnosed medical condition, has on patient care. The Awareness and Knowledge in Narcolepsy (AWAKEN) survey found that almost a quarter of 100 sleep specialists and more than half of 300 primary care physicians surveyed are not comfortable diagnosing narcolepsy. Results from the Patients' Journeys to a Narcolepsy Diagnosis survey of physicians characterize the many challenges patients must overcome and indicate that patients often go through multiple misdiagnoses and physician visits before reaching an accurate narcolepsy diagnosis. "Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc continues to support ongoing narcolepsy research, such as BOND and AWAKEN, and hopes that awareness of the data presented at SLEEP will help sleep specialists, physicians and the general public better understand narcolepsy as a serious disabling medical condition," said Jed Black, M.D., Vice President, Sleep Medicine, Jazz Pharmaceuticals and Consulting Associate Professor, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine. The Burden of Narcolepsy Disease (BOND) Study The purpose of the BOND study was to examine comorbidities associated with narcolepsy and the burden of these diseases on patients. As part of the protocol for the study, researchers evaluated the Truven Health Analytics MarketScan ® Research Databases, which consist of more than 50 million patients across the United States, to identify a group of more than 9,000 narcolepsy patients each with at least five consecutive years of healthcare data, and matched these patients to more than 46,000 control patients. Jazz Pharmaceuticals sponsored the BOND study, but was not involved in the study design, analysis or scientific representation. The study investigators were not compensated by Jazz Pharmaceuticals. Given the robust set of data from the BOND study, researchers reported the results in four abstracts presented at SLEEP, including:
- High Rates of Psychiatric Comorbidity in Narcolepsy : Patients with narcolepsy had significantly higher frequency of anxiety and mood disorders, and a higher rate of psychiatric medication usage compared with the non-narcolepsy population. [Abstract 0904]
- High Rates of Medical Comorbidity in Narcolepsy : Narcolepsy patients had significantly higher frequencies of respiratory, musculoskeletal, endocrine and circulatory conditions across the five-year period when compared with control subjects. [Abstract 0723]
- Burden of Illness and Comorbidity in Narcolepsy with Cataplexy : Patients who have narcolepsy with cataplexy showed significantly higher rates of healthcare utilization and higher frequencies of sleep apnea, cardiovascular disease and pulmonary conditions compared with the non-narcolepsy population. [Abstract 0725]
- Healthcare Utilization and Costs in Narcolepsy : Narcolepsy patients had approximately two-fold higher annual rates of hospital admissions and physician visits compared with control subjects. [Abstract 0724]
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV