By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Intel (INTC) has been positioning for growth in mobile devices, and the bulls are positioning for a rally.
The option paper was flowing in the chip maker Tuesday, with more than 388,000 contracts trading in total. Of those, more than 238,000 were upside calls.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected a giant trade in the August 25 contracts, which were sold and rolled up to the September 27 and January 28 strikes, a bullish move that is looking for more gains by later expirations. Big chunks of 15,000 and 17,000 contracts traded in those.Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased. They're cheap compared to the stock,so they can generate some big leverage if shares move higher in coming months. Rolling out from August to September and later allows more time for the trade to work. The stock rose 0.48% to $25.36 Tuesday. The run has been swift and strong, with a gain of 16% since the start of April. Volume was also large in the short-term weekly options, with a heavy skew toward the upside calls. Najarian owns INTC calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV