5 Overvalued Housing Markets
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Home prices are rebounding so much in some U.S. cities that property values have actually risen beyond what local economic fundamentals justify, market watcher Trulia.com says.
"These are [generally] markets that have seen big price increases in the past year," Trulia Senior Economist Jed Kolko says. "They've had some of the strongest price rebounds in the country."
Trulia recently analyzed two key housing-market measures -- price-to-income ratio and price-to-rent ratio -- to see how current home values in America's 100 largest cities compare with historic norms.
The site found that overall U.S. home prices are 7% below where the two indicators suggest property values should be, as much as 9.4% too high in nine cities.Kolko attributes the individual markets' excesses primarily to low inventories and strong demand that have pushed property values beyond what local incomes and rents can explain. But he adds that U.S. home prices peaked at 39% above fundamental levels during last decade's housing boom, "so we have a long way to go before we're back in bubble territory." Here's a look at five cities that Trulia found have America's most overvalued homes. The site estimated property values by looking at asking prices for residences recently listed for sale on Trulia.com, coupled with historic readings of the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices and Federal Housing Finance Agency data. Trulia then calculated price-to-income and price-to-rent ratios using U.S. government economic statistics for each metro area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV