Or how about housing? Housing's a totally regional business. Yet we have decided to take the number released last week -- a 10% increase in housing prices -- and declare that the nation, once again, is in a housing bubble. Some areas have indeed gone up, but a lot others haven't. The overall actual home is worth less now than it had been in 2006. We have had so few homes built that we can't tell what the market really is like. But we know it isn't overheating nationwide.
Now, regarding bond funds, it is true that they have become dangerous places. Interest rates could rally, and that would cause these funds to fall, and fall hard, like we saw many junk bond funds do last week and Monday. But they aren't "bubbles" that will knock our whole nation off its stride if they burst. They are just potentially a place for large losses.
Once you put the "bubble-popping" in perspective -- once you recognize that all that could happen is that something overvalued could down in price, sometimes swiftly -- you can stop scaring people and actually help them. But that's not the goal of the bubble-callers. Their goal is to become known, to be heralded, to get on television, to be interviewed on the Web and to sell books and to get subscribers and contracts to perform. Too bad -- they could actually be of help if they weren't so busy being grandiose and inflammatory for the sake of being recognizable figures at all costs.At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV