"Dorothy once asked me, 'Wouldn't you like to buy a better car?' I said, 'There's nothing wrong with a Chevrolet.'" -- Rabbi Myer KripkeThe Kripkes, despite their enormous worth, were never big spenders. They never owned any real estate and lived in an apartment in Omaha that they rented for less than $1,000 a month. By the mid-1990s, the rabbi's (now almost 85 years old) wife's health had deteriorated, and she was moved to a nursing home. Rabbi Kripke felt he had a debt to the Jewish Theological Seminary, and, in 1996, he called Rabbi Carol Davidson, the Director of Planned Giving at the Seminary to make a gift of $100,000. At a meeting at Rabbi Kripke's house in Omaha, Rabbi Davidson suggested that Myer donate the money to help fix the Seminary's high tower -- it housed the library where Myer studied decades ago -- that was almost destroyed by a fire 30 years earlier (ironically, the same year that Myer gave his life savings to Warren).
Kass: The Rabbi and the Oracle
Jun 04, 2013 | 11:54 AM EDT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV