Obama's Deja Vu Moment on Student Loans
By John Sandman
NEW YORK ( MainStreet)--President Barack Obama has come to a fork in the road on student loans. It appears that he's decided to take it.
Borrowing a line from catcher-cum-philosopher Yogi Berra, Obama called a threatened rate hike on Stafford loans "déjà vu all over again" at a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden last Friday. Currently held by 7.4 million students, Stafford loans subsidized by the federal government are scheduled to jump from 3.4% to 6.8% on July 1 after a 2011 increase was deferred in an election year deal between Obama and then-candidate Mitt Romney.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV