CAMBRIDGE, Mass., June 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:MACK) today announced results from a Phase 1 clinical study that indicate the novel antibody MM-121 can be combined with standard doses of certain cytotoxic agents for investigation as treatment for patients with advanced solid tumors. The research was presented at the 2013 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL, May 31 – June 4, 2013.
The Phase 1 study of 43 patients with advanced solid tumors established that MM-121 can be combined at its recommended single agent dose with gemcitabine, pemetrexed, cabazitaxel or carboplatin.
MM-121 is a fully human monoclonal antibody that targets ErbB3, a cell surface receptor implicated in tumor growth and survival across multiple malignancies. Preclinical research in several model systems has shown that by inhibiting ErbB3 signaling, MM-121 may restore sensitivity, delay resistance and enhance the effect of certain cytotoxic agents as a combination therapy."These data serve as the foundation for moving MM-121 into potential Phase 2 studies in combination with these chemotherapy agents in certain tumor types," said Akos Czibere, MD, PhD, Senior Medical Director of the MM-121 program at Merrimack. "MM-121 has the potential to complement the impact of several existing standard-of-care therapies and we look forward to further exploring its promise." Sanofi and Merrimack entered into an exclusive, global license and collaboration agreement for MM-121 in 2009.
|Study Methodology & Results|
|Abstract Number: 2609|
|Abstract Title: A phase I study of MM-121 in combination with multiple anticancer therapies in patients with advanced solid tumors.|
|Session Title: General Poster Session: Developmental Therapeutics - Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics|
|Presenter: Monica Arnedos, MD, Institut Gustave Roussy, Paris, France|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV