Seventy per cent of Canadian fathers have a life insurance policy, yet two-in-five don't know how much it's worth
TORONTO, June 4, 2013 /CNW/ - Most Canadian fathers have a plan in place if something were to happen to them, according to a recent RBC Insurance survey. With 70 per cent holding life insurance, dads are making financial decisions with family in mind, yet almost 40 per cent of them don't know how much the policy is worth or how much their families will need.
"Dads view purchasing life insurance as the responsible thing to do. Their top reasons for purchasing a policy include income for their partner and children; paying off the mortgage; and financing their children's education," said Cathy Preston, vice-president, Life and Health, RBC Insurance. "And it's no surprise that our survey found that it's the big life events, such as marriage and having children that trigger their investment in life insurance."
Almost 40 per cent of men purchased or upgraded their policy when they got married and 76 per cent did so when they became a father. While half of fathers estimate they hold policies worth between $100,000 and $500,000, many dads believe they need, on average, another $380,000 of coverage to feel secure."Life insurance is one of the simplest and most affordable ways to protect the financial future of families. It's clear from the findings that far too many Canadians don't know how much their life insurance policy is worth, nor how much they need," said Preston. "Today's families are busy, so convenience and simplicity are important when purchasing a policy. You also want to ensure that you are getting the best value for money." As for the 30 per cent of fathers without a policy, almost half (44 per cent) say they have enough investments and other financial resources, or that their household income will ensure the family is protected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV