NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are a lot of really great companies out there, amazing companies that continually outperform their peers and the broader market. Some are great to own for the yield, some you want for the growth and some are appealing for stability.
Aside from looking for all three of these qualities, there's a different way to outperform the market. It can take you down the wrong road at times but the successful ones will take you far on the upside.
I'm talking about investing in visionaries, not just companies.
A visionary isn't just a great CEO. They don't just have a few good ideas that do well for a couple of years or have a well-managed tenure at the helm. Visionaries change consumers and give the masses what they want before they know they want it. Visionaries change the way we do things on a day-to-day basis.Visionaries change the world. Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com (AMZN), Steve Jobs of Apple (AAPL) and Howard Schultz of Starbucks (SBUX) are examples. With a visionary's success comes shareholder success.
Let's look at the split-adjusted returns of those three companies:
Amazon began trading at $1.51 and recently traded at $266.26, a return of about 17,449%.
Apple began trading at $3.55 and recently traded at $445.09, a return of around 12,576%.
Starbucks began trading at 78 cents and is now at $62.67, a return of 8,041%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV