PASCAGOULA, Miss., June 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division has been awarded a fixed-price incentive, multiyear contract for construction of five Arleigh Burke-class destroyers (DDG 51s) for the U.S. Navy. The contract, announced today, has a total value of $3.33 billion and includes options for engineering change proposals, design budgeting requirements and post-delivery availabilities, which, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of the contract to approximately $3.39 billion.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=19128
"Our shipbuilders have a strong legacy of building DDG 51s, a class of ships that for decades has proven itself to be the workhorse of the Navy's fleet," said DDG 51 Program Manager George Nungesser. "This contract award and, importantly, the Navy's structuring of the program increases our momentum in realizing efficiencies generated from true serial production. We are committed to getting it right and doing it better every day, and we appreciate this opportunity to continue building the world's finest surface combatants."The multi-year procurement allows Ingalls to build ships more efficiently by buying bulk material and moving the skilled workforce from ship to ship. It also ensures Ingalls will be building DDGs over the next decade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV