Autodata estimated that U.S. sales of the Model S were 1,425 units.
During the first quarter, the company produced 400 or more Model S vehicles a week, for a total of over 5,000.
A Tesla spokeperson reached by email said the company had no comment on the Autodata report.Tesla has been the beneficiary of good publicity recently, both from the company and its CEO, Elon Musk. In May, Tesla upped its 2013 estimate for deliveries of the Model S as part of a record first-quarter earnings report. The company raised its guidance from 20,000 units to 21,000 units.
Aiding the increase in guidance was Tesla's recently announced financing program. Musk said in a recent interview with TheStreet the financing was important to Tesla selling 20,000 cars in the U.S. this year. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV