NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt discussed the stock market and where it may be headed.
Cramer said he has turned rather bleak on the market, noting that it "looks horrible" after the last two weeks of trading. Although we're still close to all-time highs, the breakdowns have become too apparent and bulls seem to be losing steam.
With the recent jump in the 10-year note yields, investors are going to see dividend stocks in the 2% to 3% range drop a bit. According to Cramer, these stocks will have to go down in price until they are back to yielding 4% to 5% before investors will want to get back in.
Investors should look to trim names that have yields under 3% and earnings per share growth under 4%. Many of these stocks, such as Procter & Gamble (PG) and Clorox (CLX) are now too expensive and have slow growth.A lot of companies have appreciated much faster and there is nothing wrong with having a bigger cash position to be able to buy these stocks on a correction. "If you have huge profits, take some," Cramer concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV