NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although the blue lights aren't flashing yet in REIT-land, last week's market reset has created some special buying opportunities for dividend investors, notably the blue-chips.
Bernanke's recent comments sent REITs tumbling as many of the expensive, best-in-class REITs suddenly started to see a "margin of safety" starting to widen.
Uncle Ben (Bernanke) gave us little indication when rates would start to rise, but the mere reference (to rising rates) brought unexpected momentum to the selloff last week.
We are just three years into a recovery of historic proportions, and any increase in interest rates gives meaningful evidence that commercial real estate is getting stronger. I am concerned about REITs with lower-quality tenants as it's apparent that a rise in debt costs could take a toll on certain rent-payers. For example, I would make certain that your investments are risk-aligned and you're being compensated for the added risk of poor tenant or thin demographic quality. For example, STAG Industrial (STAG), Whitestone REIT (WSR), and Gladstone Commercial (GOOD) are REITs that own properties in secondary markets with a considerable number of weaker tenants. When interest rates begin to rise, these lower quality tenants will be under more pressure, and that could impact occupancies for these REITs.
Although you will not be able to find them in the bargain basement, the blue-chip REITs are likely to provide safe and reliable dividend income. I especially like the REITs that have demonstrated a long track record of paying and increasing dividends. By focusing on dividend safety, you'll be able to establish some worthy targets that could enable you to weather the rising interest rate clouds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV